Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Email: The Anti-Productivity

Ever see those anti-drug commercials where they'd show some teenager working really hard and becoming an amazing basketball player, or ballerina, or whatever? Well if you're wondering why I haven't posted here for a while, its because I've been exploring my anti-productivity: Email.

What is our obsession with email? Why do we do so much of it? How much of it do we actually READ? For example, I've gotten about 70 emails within the last 24 hours that I kept (meaning they are not spam). That's not counting my work email, which is what I spend most of my time actually caring about. Out of those 70 emails, I think I fully read about 5 of them, skimmed about 50 of them, and totally ignored the rest.

Anyway, for anyone looking for some tips on how to keep productivity up without ignoring email altogether, here's a few tips. I particularily like the suggestion to change your email client to only check for new mail every hour or so. You can always force it to check now if you need to (like before running off to a meeting).

My name is Jason, and my anti-productivity is Email.

1 comment:

Greg McConnell said...

>> My name is Jason, and my anti-productivity is Email. <<

lol.