Thursday, July 28, 2005

Blue Like... Rock?

I started reading a book called Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller today. The book was sent to us by a friend who read it and noticed it was all about Portland. It's kind of a strange book, more a collection of memoirs than anything, but memoirs relevant to life, God, love, purpose, etc. It's interesting, in his second chapter Don talks about how people are almost always motivated by selfish reasons, from the criminal to the pastor.

Do I think you should sell all your possessions and live as some sort of homeless nomad? No, I believe that command was for that individual because Jesus knew his heart and knew that was what kept him separated from God. But I do believe we need to think about why we have possessions and what purpose they serve. If your wealth isn't for God, then what purpose does it serve?

I listen a lot to alternative and rock bands, groups like Linkin Park, Staind, Puddle of Mudd, etc, because I feel like they have so much raw emotion in them about the world we live in. In the introduction to his book, Don talks about not liking Jazz until he stood outside watching a guy play the saxophone for 15 minutes straight without opening his eyes. The idea is you can't truely love something until you see someone else love it first. I wonder at that, since I listen to rock all the time, but not so much because the music is pleasing. It's more because the music is mad. Do I have to see someone raving mad playing rock before I like it?

2 comments:

Greg McConnell said...

It's interesting, in his second chapter Don talks about how people are almost always motivated by selfish reasons, from the criminal to the pastor.

Yeah, it's an interesting topic. One thing that somebody told me recently is that there's a difference between being selfish and self-aware. Selfish = bad. Self-aware = good. =)

Greg McConnell said...

For me personally, it's definitely a constant struggle between self-aware and selfish. I suppose it can be easy to keep labeling things we do as self-aware when they're in fact selfish.

Whoa... it's 11:54pm. I better go to bed. (That's self-aware I think...)

Good night.